What is the Alumni Ambassador Program?
The English Language Fellow Alumni Ambassadors are a prestigious cohort of motivated former Fellows who are selected on an annual basis to represent the program and to further engage with the program though events and online representation. The U.S. Department of State English Language Fellow Program relies on Alumni Ambassadors to share their program experience with the larger TESOL community.
Alumni Ambassadors introduce the Fellow program to their professional and personal circles through videos, webinars, and interviews, as well as conferences and special events throughout the United States. This program is intended to empower our network of alumni and showcase the diversity and professionalism of the English Language Fellow Program alumni community.
As the English Language Fellow Program is celebrating its 50th Anniversary in 2019, the 2019-2020 cohort of Alumni Ambassadors will receive special recognition and have unique opportunities to represent the program—including attending the Fellows’ Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. in August, 2019.
Alumni Ambassadors Could Be Asked To:
- Participate in local and virtual TESOL events with or on behalf of the English Language Fellow Program
- Share resources with current Fellows and alumni on the Community of Practice website
- Serve as references for the program and provide information to interested applicants
- Be enthusiastic and creative in sharing their fellowship experiences with others
Alumni Ambassador Benefits:
- Attend 50th Anniversary Kick-off Event: All 2019-2020 Alumni Ambassadors will be invited to participate in the English Language Fellow Pre-Departure Orientation event in Washington, D.C. from August 5 to 9, 2019. All expenses for this trip will be paid by the program.
- Stay connected with Fellow alumni, community, and staff
- Present at regional TESOL events, university visits, or in webinars and receive free registration when presenting at regional conferences about their fellowship experiences
- Alumni Ambassadors will be trained on best practices for sharing information about the program
- Access to Exchange Alumni resources and other Department of State grant programs
- Receive special recognition by the program:
- With a profile feature on the program website and COP as the featured Alumni Ambassador of the month
- In program and alumni newsletters
- On program social media channels
- Attend or host networking opportunities at regional or international TESOL conferences
- Receive U.S. Department of State discount code for the 2020 TESOL International Convention and English Language Expo
- Receive exclusive Alumni Ambassador swag
- Receive a PR kit of program materials for presentations
Alumni Ambassador Requirements:
- Proud alumnus/a of the English Language Fellow Program having completed a fellowship more than one year ago
- Currently working in the United States
- Committed to a one-year term as an Alumni Ambassador
- Eager to share fellowship experiences with a variety of audiences
- Ready to be an exceptional representative of the program by demonstrating the impact a fellowship can have on an individual’s career and community
Interested alumni should submit an online application by May 5, 2019. Applicants will be considered based on their completion of the online application form, an evaluation of their fellowship experience in conjunction with RELO input, and their careers post-fellowship. Alumni Ambassadors will be chosen with consideration given to regional diversity of fellowship and current locations.
If you fit the criteria and are able to represent the English Language Fellow Program positively, please complete the application form.