City: Batac City
Batac City, the “Home of Great Leaders,” fortifies its economic supremacy in Northern Luzon through development-oriented agriculture, entrepreneurship and industry. It is considered to be a haven of loving and friendly people living harmoniously in an ecologically-balanced environment governed by responsive political leadership. It is about 472 kilometers north of Metro Manila and about 18 kilometers south of Laoag City. Batac can be reached by air and land; it is a 45-minute flight from Manila to Laoag City International Airport, and roughly 8 hours by car or bus from Metro Manila.
The city is reputed to be the center of education, research and wellness in Ilocos Norte. There are several national research and training centers such as the Philippine Rice Research Institute, the Philippine Carabao Center, the Ilocos Integrated Agricultural Research Center, and the Ilocos Norte Science Community. The city is the center of arts and culture in the province as manifested in its various cultural activities: the Empanada Festival, the Farmers’ Festival, and the City Fiesta. It is also known as the “Home of Gastronomic Delights” in the northernmost part of the country as it offers the best native delicacies in the province.
Host Institution: Marianos Marcos State University
The Mariano Marcos State University (MMSU) is a comprehensive institution of higher learning in the Ilocos region, which was established in 1978 by Presidential Decree 1279 and was named after the father of former President Ferdinand E. Marcos. The decree merged two state colleges in the province of Ilocos Norte: Mariano Marcos Memorial College of Science and Technology and the Northern Luzon State College. With its 3 core values (excellence, integrity, and service to God and nation), MMSU aims to develop globally competitive professionals and industry-ready graduates via various modalities as well as generate new knowledge and technologies for improvement in the quality of life. It aims to offer a wide range of academic programs at the associate, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral levels and maintain a broad range of research programs both in the basic and applied sciences which will generate knowledge and meet the needs of the province and region. The university provides off-campus instruction and continuing education services to meet the needs of residents of the province and the region, and it serves as a regional cooperative and development center for public and private colleges and universities in the Ilocos region.
- The EL Fellow will teach 3 undergraduate courses and 1 graduate course.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Enhance the syllabi of the professional courses of the AB English Language Program.
- Conduct in-house seminars/workshops/trainings on language pedagogy and testing in the AB English Language Program.
- Serve as a member on thesis committees in the AB English Language Program.
- Facilitate a MOOC Camp and conduct seminars/workshops/trainings.
- Conduct presentations/seminars/workshops for pre-service and in-service teachers, and special presentations or English camps at the American Corners/Spaces, English Access Microscholarship Program schools, and the U.S. Embassy in Manila.