City: Cebu City
Cebu is an island province of the Philippines located in the Central Visayas region, consisting of the main island itself and 167 surrounding islands and islets. Its capital is Cebu City, the oldest city and first capital of the Philippines, which is politically independent from the provincial government. Cebu City forms part of the Cebu Metropolitan Area together with 4 neighboring cities (Danao City, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City and Talisay City) and 8 other local government units. Cebu is one of the most developed provinces in the Philippines, with Cebu City as the main center of commerce, trade, education and industry in the Visayas. In a decade, it has transformed into a global hub for shipping, furniture-making, tourism, business processing services, and heavy industry. Cebu has narrow coastlines, limestone plateaus and coastal plains. It also has rolling hills and rugged mountain ranges traversing the northern and southern lengths of the island. Cebu’s highest mountains are over 1000 meters high. Flat tracts of land can be found in the towns of Bogo, San Remigio, Medellin and Daanbantayan at the northern region of the province. Mactan-Cebu International Airport, located on Mactan Island, is the second busiest airport in the Philippines.
Host Institution: University of San Jose – Recoletos
The University of San Jose-Recoletos, Cebu City Philippines, is a nonprofit, higher education institution owned and administered by the Order of the Augustinian Recollects (OAR). It is a Catholic university located in downtown Cebu City. At present, the university has a graduate school population of 597 and an undergraduate population of 9,304. The university is accredited at Level III by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU), the most prestigious accrediting body in the country. The university offers a PhD in English with a concentration in Language, a PhD in English with a concentration in Literature, and a Master of Arts in English. Furthermore, the University offers a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) program in partnership with the International TESOL Education and Consultancy Corporation (ITECC). It also has an English as a Second Language (ESL) Program for foreign students in cooperation with its Korean University partners with the Center for Premier International Language School (CPILS). The university also has an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) testing center.
- The Fellow will teach at least 2 courses in the MA English program.
- The Fellow will teach at least 2 courses in the undergraduate program (AB English).
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Train faculty and students on how to improve the teaching and learning of English.
- Give tutorial or remedial classes in the AB English extension program to low-performing students in public elementary schools.
- Conduct training for English teachers in public elementary schools on the teaching and learning of the English language.
- Conduct presentations/seminar-workshops for pre-service and in-service teachers, and special presentations or English camps at the American Corners/Spaces, Access schools, and at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.