City: Cebu City
Cebu is an island province of the Philippines located in the Central Visayas region, consisting of the main island itself and 167 surrounding islands and islets. Its capital is Cebu City, the oldest city and first capital of the Philippines, which is politically independent from the provincial government. Cebu City forms part of the Cebu Metropolitan Area together with 4 neighboring cities (Danao City, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City and Talisay City) and 8 other local government units. Cebu is one of the most developed provinces in the Philippines, with Cebu City as the main center of commerce, trade, education and industry in the Visayas. In a decade, it has transformed into a global hub for shipping, furniture-making, tourism, business processing services, and heavy industry. Cebu has narrow coastlines, limestone plateaus and coastal plains. It also has rolling hills and rugged mountain ranges traversing the northern and southern lengths of the island. Cebu’s highest mountains are over 1000 meters high. Flat tracts of land can be found in the towns of Bogo, San Remigio, Medellin and Daanbantayan at the northern region of the province. Mactan-Cebu International Airport, located on Mactan Island, is the second busiest airport in the Philippines.
Host Institution: University of the Philippines Cebu
The University of the Philippines (UP) Cebu has 100 faculty members, 880 undergraduate students, and more than 300 graduate students. UP Cebu has four clusters: Arts and Humanities, Business Management, Sciences, and Social Sciences. The Arts and Humanities Cluster has three programs: Fine Arts in Product Design, Fine Arts in Studio Arts, and Mass Communication. Committed to nation-building by fostering artists, this cluster is home to the Jose Joya Awards annual painting competition, the UPelikula independent short film competition, and the Tagik Landasan Creative Writing Workshop. The Business Management cluster offers a Bachelor’s in Science Management and a Master’s in Business Administration. The Sciences cluster aspires to provide teaching and research leadership in the life sciences, environment, mathematics, and computer science. It offers 3 undergraduate programs and 2 graduate programs. The Social Sciences cluster offers a BA Political Science, BA Psychology, Master of Education (MEd), a High School program, and the Physical Education program. The MEd Program offers English as a Second Language (ESL), Filipino, Social Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. The MEd ESL program had an enrollment of 30 1st year students in 2017-2018. The maximum class size allowed for undergraduate English Writing classes is 25 students.
- The Fellow will teach in the Master of Education and Undergraduate Program.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Organize professional development trainings and conferences for the local, regional, and national communities and act as a resource speaker on topics related to English language education.
- Conduct teacher training programs on English language teaching with the UP Cebu Teacher Training Program through the Master of Education Program’s Conference on Development and Education (UP Cebu CODE) and workshops in UP Cebu’s partner universities such as the Cebu Technological University.
- Conduct presentations/seminars/workshops for pre-service and in-service teachers, and special presentations or English camps at the American Corners/Spaces, Access schools, and at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.
- Evaluate curricula for the following programs: Master of Education in Teaching English as a Second Language; English Language and Literature; and English Reading and Writing Skills.