City: Burapha University
Chon Buri Province is about 80 kilometers from Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. It is located on the eastern coast of the Gulf of Thailand. Chon Buri Province is considered a hub for tourism, international seaport commerce, and education for the eastern region of Thailand. It is also a gateway to other provinces that are known for their year-round tropical fruit and water activities. In addition, Chon Buri Province is the center of the Eastern Seaboard Development Project, with different industrial parks and fishing villages.
Chon Buri Province has a tropical climate. Generally, the temperatures in Chon Buri Province rise until April—average daily maximum is 35 degrees Celsius (95F). Typically, the monsoon season runs from May through October, with heavy rain and somewhat cooler temperatures during the day. As suggested by its name, Chon Buri (city of water), this province is full of natural resources, which are highlighted by beaches, local traditions, and regional delicacies. Most restaurants in Chon Buri Province serve a variety of cuisines, including Thai and international foods, and the region’s specialty, seafood. It features a central market where locals can buy everything from groceries to household appliances.
There are multiple ways to get to Chon Buri from Bangkok, including public buses, mini buses/vans, and taxis. The bus from Ekkamai bus terminal in Bangkok usually departs for Chon Buri Province hourly from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. The bus fare is about 80 baht (USD 3-4). Also, there are minibuses that travel directly from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport to Chon Buri Province. Finally, to travel within the city, there are public buses, called “songthaew” available all over.
Host Institution: Burapha University
Burapha University is a public university located in the eastern region of Thailand. The University offers a wide variety of degrees in many disciplines of sciences, technology, health sciences, humanities, and social sciences at both undergraduate and graduate levels. At present, there is an enrollment of over 45,000 in three campuses of Bangsaen, Chantaburi, and Sa-Kaew. The University provides an international standard of study and research instruction. Also, it offers a wide variety of academic services for nearby communities.
- The Fellow will teach both undergraduate English teaching and English major students.
- The Fellow will also teach courses for Master’s degree students. Possible courses for students in a Master’s Degree include Language Acquisition, Academic Writing, and Intercultural Communication.
- The Fellow will be a guest lecturer giving lessons for students enrolled in Business English, English for Specific Purposes, and English for Communication Arts. Possible undergraduate courses are Applied Linguistics, Critical Reading, Cross Cultural Communication, and Creative Writing.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Provide workshops for faculty members on topics that are considered relevant and important for their professional/language development.
- Provide training for secondary/primary school teachers as requested by the host institution.
- Give one-on-one English language tutoring/ consultation for English major students from time to time as requested.
- Conduct training and workshops for pre-service and in-service teachers of English across Thailand as requested by the Embassy.
- Mentor and train Fulbright English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) as requested by the Embassy.
- Conduct training for English Access Microscholarship Program teachers and/or interaction with Thailand’s Access students