City: Dar es Salaam
Although Tanzania is a developing country in East Africa, it is also one of the most popular tourist destinations in Africa, being home to the Serengeti, Kilimanjaro, and Zanzibar. Dar es Salaam is the business capital of Tanzania. It is a coastal city with access to beaches.
Host Institution: Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS)
Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS) is busy and demanding, but also fun and interesting. As a public institution the work time is structured around an 8am – 5pm work schedule (with a 2 hour lunch break). As a health training institution, there is a lot of interaction with students (classes, clerkship, practical or field placement) from different health disciplines, as well as with faculty. There is limited infrastructure – slow internet, and limited office space necessitating the sharing of office space. The university also hosts international fellows coming to train in clinical and community medicine as part of elective studies from the U.S., Sweden, Japan, and other African countries. The main campus is situated near the city center with access to social amenities such as banks, postal office, restaurants, and public transport.
- The Fellow will help implement the Communication Skills 100 curriculum and make revisions as needed.
- The Fellow will improve the quality of scientific output by students and faculty by developing training material to improve oral and written communication.
- The Fellow will facilitate a scientific writing course for doctorate students.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Support an E-Teacher English health care pilot course
- Train faculty to be trainers of trainers in English language for scientific communication.
- Support the new American Corner in Dar es Salaam. The Fellow will help facilitate ECA’s MOOCs and webinars, and work with local teachers on critical skills including technology for educators.
- Train Access teachers and give presentations for English Access Microscholarship Program students
- Participate in tasks in support of RELO/PAS programs, as necessary