Timor-Leste is a small tropical island nation with about 1.4 million people. There are two seasons, wet and dry with temperatures around the upper 80s most of the year. The island is very mountainous so travel outside of the capital can be time-consuming as roads are still being developed. The beaches are beautiful with plenty of diving and snorkeling opportunities. Although there is a bus system that goes around the entire island, it is much more convenient to travel by car. Flights leave from the capital to Darwin, Australia and Bali daily and there are flights to Singapore 3 times per week. The population is very friendly and welcoming to Americans. There is a large expat community in the Dili, the capital. Food selection varies throughout the year, and most amenities are available.
Host Institution: National University of Timor Lorosa’e
National University of Timor-Leste (UNTL) is the only public university in Timor-Leste. The Fellow will work with English Department under the Faculty of Education, Arts and Humanities. The department currently serves 477 students which includes students who are working on a thesis.
- The Fellow will teach English to students and train English teachers.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Work closely with the Embassy in order to provide English language program activities including regular visits to the U.S Embassy’s Access Microscholarship program.
- Hold regular office hours at American Space.
- Provide academic writing workshops to final year students and assist students in other disciplines.
- Provide professional development opportunities for English teachers in the area.
- Assist in students’ extracurricular activities.