City: Djibouti City
The Fellow will be placed in the capital, Djibouti City. The Republic of Djibouti is a small country located in the Horn of Africa. It is a country of dry shrublands, volcanic formations, and beautiful Gulf of Aden beaches. The climate is warm all year long with a cool season from October to February. Djiboutians tend to be very welcoming and pro-American. There is a strong interest in learning English, but very little capacity. The primary languages are French, Somali, and Afar. Unemployment and poverty rates are high, while literacy rates are low. There is rewarding work to be done here.
Host Institution: Ministry of Education
The Queen Rania Teacher Academy (QRTA) is an independent nonprofit institution committed to advancing Queen Rania Al Abdullah’s vision of empowering teachers, supervisors, and principals with the skills necessary to excel in classrooms and schools. QRTA was launched in partnership with Columbia University under the patronage of Queen Rania in June 2009. QRTA aims to enhance the quality of education in Jordan and the region by bringing to the fore key challenges pertaining to teaching policies and teacher professional development.
- The Fellow will work with the Ministry of Education’s Pedagogical Advisors training local Djiboutian English teachers in best teaching practices and English teaching techniques.
- The Fellow will work directly with the Djiboutian textbook authority, CRIPEN, to review and edit
new English textbooks and curriculum currently being developed to be more effective, interactive, and culturally relevant to Djiboutian students.
- The Fellow will travel to public schools throughout Djibouti to assess teaching techniques in English classes and create professional development seminars based on an assessment of their needs.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Collaborate with the Public Affairs Section (PAS) Djibouti, the American Corner, and local partners on American Corner English programs (conversation classes, book clubs, general English activities).
- Provide outreach to English students and teachers outside of the capital city.
- Help restart and organize the Djibouti English Teachers Association.