Huila is a very pleasant and quiet province, with a population of around 2.5 million inhabitants. The institution, Mandume Ya Ndemufayo-ISCED Huila is located in Lubango, the provincial capital. The weather is very pleasant, quite similar to Cape Town, but without the beach. There are many landmarks to explore and outdoor activities to do in town. Huila is also known for its local produce. Huilans are very friendly and welcoming. For additional information, visit the official Angola tourism site.
Host Institution: Mandume Ya Ndemufayo – ISCED Huila
Established in 1963, Universidade Mandume Ya Ndemufayo (UMN) is a non-profit public institution of higher education located in the small city of Lubango, Huila. It is officially accredited and recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education Science Technology and Innovation, Angola. With about 7000-8000 students depending on the year, UMN is a medium-sized, coeducational higher education institution. UMN offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, and both its Higher Institute For Educational Sciences (ISCED) and ELT program are reputed to be the best in the country. UMN also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, as well as administrative services. The faculty is very competent and eager to improve the quality of the education provided at the institution; a significant number hold master’s degrees and a handful have a Ph.D. Apart from the expected challenges of access to modern technology and materials, working at the institution is a pleasant experience.
- The Fellow will help teachers in training improve their understanding and implementation of ELT methodology while also improving their English proficiency. The Fellow is slated to teach the following courses:
- TESOL Methodology and Teaching Practice for 4th year students (pre-service teachers)
- Lingua IV (a course aimed to develop students’ fluency)
- A literature survey course
- The Fellow will assist in designing an ESP syllabus for non-ELT undergraduates within the university.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Support English Clubs activities, the Angolan English Language Teachers Association (ANELTA) and other English-related activities.