City: Kuwait City
Kuwait City is located on Kuwait Bay, a natural deep-water harbor. 90% of Kuwait’s population live within the Kuwait Bay coast. The population is 4.2 million. The weather is dry and hot during the summer; October through March are considered winter months. The official language is Arabic but English is widely spoken. Accommodation and transportation will be provided to the Fellow in a convenient location. Every building is air-conditioned and there are many shopping malls and restaurants to check out. There are many museums that reflect Kuwait’s history and traditions and many monthly cultural events that usually take place at night.
Host Institution: Ministry of Education
The Fellow will be primarily located at the Ministry of Education (MOE). The Fellow is expected to move from one educational area to another every month. Each district will require a month of training. There are six educational districts. The 7th district is for private education, and the 8th district is for religious education. The ministry is fully resourced, public schools are well equipped and the Fellow will be teaching a maximum of 25 trainees per group.
- The Fellow will train teachers in Intermediate and Secondary Schools within the MOE. The course topics will cover the following modules:
- Preparing learners for standardized tests such as IELTS/TOEFL/SAT
- Adapting the textbook to learners’ needs
- Developing learners’ reading and writing: techniques and procedures
- Designing and analyzing tests (for supervisors)