Located in the southern part of Mozambique, Maputo is an attractive city sitting on the western shore of Delagoa Bay, a large body of water formed by the confluence of 5 rivers and the Indian Ocean. The population of greater Maputo is around 1.2 million. The climate is subtropical with an average annual rainfall of 31 inches during summer, which is October to April. The city is world-famous for its unique art deco architecture as well as tree-lined boulevards and European cafe culture. Maputo has many quality restaurants and diverse options for nightlife. There are numerous travel opportunities from Maputo including nearby beaches and many safari options. Local markets and supermarkets provide a good array of food items, and what cannot be sourced locally can usually be found in South Africa (a 2-hour drive from Maputo). Walking around Maputo is safe during the day.
Host Institution: Universidade Pedagogica
The Pedagogic University of Mozambique (UP) is a respected public university with the primary mission of training teachers and education administrators in higher education and providing them with the scientific and pedagogical-didactic instruments necessary to deliver quality education. UP has campuses in six major cities in Mozambique and an enrollment of some 32,000 students. The Fellow’s primary responsibility is providing English language support at Universidade Pedagogica (UP). UP has been very appreciative of past Fellows and the institution has shown a keen willingness to support and integrate the Fellow into the faculty. Previous Fellows have enjoyed a positive professional relationship with faculty and administrators at UP.
- The Fellow will diversify the types of English programs offered to UP students, aiming to complement the curriculum that Universidade Pedagogica already has in place with creative activities.
- The Fellow will be the primary instructor for at least two courses of 16 weeks per term: English for First Year English Education Majors and English for Portuguese Instructors.
- The Fellow will assess the discrepancies in English abilities among students in the same cohorts and provide additional English language tutoring to those who would most benefit.
- The Fellow will implement developmental activities for UP faculty and students, including conducting periodic teacher training seminars, contributing to curriculum development, and hosting creative presentations on popular topics.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Assist English Language programming initiatives at the American Cultural Center, including providing support to periodic programs to help students prepare for the TOEFL and other standardized tests, supporting English teachers and others through facilitation of MOOCs, and mentoring English Club volunteer facilitators and supporting them in developing programming.