Nampula is located in the northern part of Mozambique. Its population of about 500,000 makes it the country’s 3rd largest city. Nampula is northern Mozambique’s business capital, and it is regarded as a cultural melting pot that brings together people of different faiths and various ethnic backgrounds. Nampula is also known as a popular destination for tourists and international business travelers. The city has an international airport with flights to South Africa, Kenya, and cities within Mozambique. Nampula is a 2-hour flight from Maputo, the capital of Mozambique. There are a few American-style hotels and restaurants in Nampula.
Host Institution: Universidade Lúrio
A public university founded in 2006, Universidade Lúrio (UniLúrio) enrolls approximately 1,500 students across 5 campuses in Mozambique; the main campus is in Nampula.
- The Fellow will be the primary instructor for English language courses assessing student knowledge and performance, and providing tutoring for students requiring additional support.
- The Fellow will implement professional development activities for UniLúrio faculty and students, including conducting periodic ELT seminars, contributing to curriculum development, and hosting presentations on popular topics.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Assist with English language programming initiatives at the American Reading Room located at UniLúrio, such as establishing a discussion club, coordinating with the American Cultural Center in Maputo to digitally stream events, and teaching English language courses for Reading Room attendees.
- Tutor students preparing for the TOEFL exam, which is administered at the U.S. Embassy in Maputo.
- Assist with identifying students who may be qualified candidates for U.S. Embassy-coordinated educational and professional exchange programs.