Mauritius lies in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar, and is well known for its beaches, lagoons, and reefs. The mountainous interior includes Black River Gorges National Park, with rainforests, waterfalls, hiking trails, and wildlife. Its capital city, Port Louis, is home to several attractions. Mauritians are recognized worldwide for their warmth, hospitality, and multi-lingual skills. The host institution is a 15-minute car drive from the capital and is located in Reduit next to academic institutions which include the University of Mauritius, the Open University of Mauritius, and the Mauritius Examinations Syndicate. Reduit is a very safe area and the central spot for public transportation to different parts of the island.
Host Institution: Mauritius Institute of Education in partnership with the Ministry of Education
The Mauritius Institute of Education (MIE) is a parastatal body, working under the aegis of the Ministry of Education and Human Resources. Set up in 1973 with the prime objective of modernizing the education sector and endowing it with a professional teaching workforce, MIE provides training for the pre-primary, primary, and secondary sectors of education, targeting all cadres, including teaching and management. The training provided is in line with state of the art pedagogical practices and the constant benchmarking of courses offered in accordance to international standards. MIE is also responsible for research, curriculum development, textbook writing, and evaluation.
- The Fellow will teach courses such as 4 Skills, Grammar, Vocabulary, and English for Academic Purposes (EAP) to pre-primary, primary, and secondary school educators.
- The Fellow will advise on English, Literature, and Performing Arts courses, the Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), and Bachelor of Education courses.
- The Fellow will offer continuous professional development for educators.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Conduct workshops on the teaching of language and literature in English and research methodology for in-service educators as well as students.
- Assist with the development of curriculum materials.
- Engage in school based research in association with the academic staff.