Country: Dominican Republic
City: Santo Domingo
The Dominican Republic is a small country which forms part of the island of Hispaniola. The climate is mostly tropical with access to beaches. The middle of the country is mountainous with many possibilities for hiking and other recreation. The country is very welcoming towards Americans and most Dominicans have family members that live in the United States. The capital city of Santo Domingo, where the Fellow will be based, is easy to navigate by taxi. There is an active expatriate community, access to most amenities and U.S. goods, and a wide range of restaurants.
Host Institution: Instituto Cultural Dominico-Americano (ICDA)
The host institution is a Dominican-American institution based in Santo Domingo. The center opened seventy years ago. It is expected that the Fellow will have an important impact in the work of teacher training and training of trainers as well as in the growth of the Center for Professional Development. The trainings will have a direct impact on 1,000 teachers and 200 supervisors and an indirect impact on more than 5,000 teachers. The Instituto Cultural Dominico-Americano is located in the capital city of Santo Domingo, and it has six more locations across the country.
- The Fellow will assist in the design and implementation of American English resources from the U.S. Department of State website.
- The Fellow will assist in the design and implementation of teacher trainings for Ministry of Education teachers that guide them in developing teaching techniques and methodologies for the new English language curriculum.
- The Fellow will assist in the design and implementation of an online presence and community for the Center for Professional Development, which could include social media, MOOC participation, and webinars.
- The Fellow will support the ICDA Center for Professional Development in its growth and expansion.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Support the education program at the ICDA by mentoring teachers and mentors.
- Develop a library of short videos for the Center for Professional Development that capture best practices in communicative language teaching in the Dominican Republic that can be used in trainings as well as online.
- Support the ICDA’s new teacher induction process.
- Support the ICDA in the preparation of the annual conference.