Life in Georgia is generally on par with European levels of comfort. Tbilisi is a very old city that has expanded rapidly along a river valley. There are major international chain stores and restaurants in the city. Credit cards are widely used, Internet access is widespread and fairly reliable, mobile services cover the whole country, and the water is safe to drink. City roads are in good repair. Traffic jams and air pollution are rising concerns. Some conditions vary greatly between larger cities and smaller towns and villages.
Host Institution: International Black Sea University
Founded in 1995, International Black Sea University (IBSU) is one of the leading private universities in Georgia. The university’s diverse population includes students from Turkey, Azerbaijan, Russia, Turkmenistan, Nigeria, and many other countries. IBSU offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs that meet international standards and are accredited by the Ministry of Education and Science. As the language of instruction is English, IBSU offers English preparatory programs for students wishing to improve their language proficiency. Programs are provided by four faculties: the Faculty of Education and Humanities, the Faculty of Business Management, the Faculty of Information Technology and Industrial Engineering, and the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Faculty of Education and Humanities is large and active; the faculty maintains a constant focus on quality assurance and student support.
- The Fellow will teach English language courses to undergraduate students; course topics may include: advanced conversation, academic writing, American culture, and English for media professionals.
- The Fellow will support and provide English-language development opportunities for faculty members.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Work closely with the English Teachers’ Association of Georgia (ETAG) and support local, national, and regional ELT conferences
- Support English Access Microscholarship Program (Access) enhancement activities and English language summer camps
- Facilitate U.S. Embassy-supported English language outreach and professional development programs such as hosting American English webinar viewing group sessions and supporting Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) camps