City: Ubon Ratchathani
Ubon Ratchathani is one of the northeastern provinces of Thailand. It is one of the four major cities of Isan which is rich in culture and nature. The city is on the Mun River in the south-east of the Isan region of Thailand. The distance from Bangkok is about 630 km. Neighboring provinces are Sisaket, Yasothon, and Amnat Charoen. From Ubon Ratchathani to the north and east, its borders are Salavan and Champasak of Laos, to the south is Preah Vihear of Cambodia. Ubon Ratchathani Province has a tropical wet and dry climate. Winters are dry and very warm. Temperatures rise until April, which is hot with an average daily maximum of 36.4 °C (97.5 °F). The monsoon season runs from late April–October, with heavy rain and somewhat cooler temperatures during the day, although nights remain warm. There are multiple ways to get to Ubon Ratchathani from Bangkok, including public bus from Mochit station, train from Bangkok Railway Station, and aircraft from Don Mueang international airport. For local transportation, there are many local taxis that service the area of Ubon Ratchathani province.
Host Institution: Ubon Ratchathani Rajabhat University
Ubon Ratchathani Rajabhat University is a public university which started as a teacher training college more than 100 years ago and is located in the northeastern region of Thailand. The university offers a wide variety of degrees in many disciplines of education, science, technology, health sciences, humanities, and social sciences at both undergraduate and graduate levels. At present, there is an enrollment of over 15,000. The university provides an international standard of study and research instruction. Also, it offers a wide variety of academic services for the nearby communities. The Faculty of Education caters to both undergraduate and graduate students.
- The Fellow will teach undergraduate students in the Faculty of Education who are pre-service teachers of English. These courses emphasize teaching methodology, teaching techniques and practices, materials development, assessment and evaluation, syllabus design, and lesson planning.
- The Fellow will provide workshops for faculty members and secondary school teachers and students on topics that are considered relevant and important for their professional language development.
- The Fellow will give one-on-one English language tutoring /consultation for lecturers, English major students, and non-English major students as requested.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Facilitate training workshops for in-service teachers in the area of Ubon Ratchathani Rajabhat.
- Provide training and workshops for pre-service and in-service English Language teachers across Thailand.
- Mentor and train Fulbright English Teaching Assistants (ETAs).
- Support the English Access Microscholarship program.