City: Uong Bi
Uong Bi City in Quang Ninh province is a small city located 2.5 hours (120 km) northeast of Hanoi. The city has a population of approximately 100,000 people and is home to one of Vietnam’s largest coal mining industries. There are train, bus and taxi services from Hanoi to Uong Bi City. Fellows can buy common food items, furniture, clothing, and household items in Uong Bi, but there may not be much variety. There is a central hospital (Vietnam-Sweden Uong Bi Hospital) run by the Ministry of Health in the city, but Fellows would need to travel to Hanoi for anything complicated including good dental treatment. The campus is quite large and located right on National Road No. 18 connecting Hanoi and Ha Long City, the capital of Quang Ninh province. In Hanoi and the larger cities, the Fellow can find many western restaurants and well-developed services, but outside of these locations, choices are more limited. The rural parts of Vietnam are less well-developed and certain parts of the country are quite isolated. However, on the whole, Vietnam is an easy country to live in for foreigners. There is good IT/cell phone infrastructure, housing, and an excellent variety of fresh and local food. However, the challenges one might face are traffic and pollution.
Host Institution: Ha Long University
Funded by the government of Quang Ninh province, Ha Long University was established in 2014 based on the upgrade and merger of the province’s teacher training college and economic and technical college. The University’s mission is to provide high quality human resources in science, technology, economics, education, and social sciences and humanities to meet the needs of the socio-economic development of Quang Ninh province and the northern plains area of Vietnam at large. As home to Ha Long Bay, a popular international tourist destination, tourism is Quang Ninh’s province’s major economic drive. Therefore, Ha Long University attaches great importance to English language teaching and learning. The University has a student body of nearly 800 and provides Associate Degree (3 years) and Bachelor Degree (4 years) programs in Education, Economics, IT, Hospitality, TESOL, English and Chinese languages. There are 14 English teachers and 130 English major students. The quality of the classrooms and offices are quite basic.
- The Fellow will teach English (listening/speaking skills) to senior students of English and/or Tourism. Most of these students will have been learning English for about 3 years in the university, and their English proficiency levels are between B1 (BA Program students) or B2 (Associate Degree Program students) on the Common European Framework levels.
- The Fellow will facilitate the development of the English language teaching staff’s competence in materials development and syllabus design for general and ESP classes. The Fellow will also cover topics such as textbook evaluation and designing teaching and learning activities based on needs assessments/diagnostic testing.
- The Fellow will conduct teacher training workshops commissioned by the Quang Ninh Province Department of Education and Training and hosted by Ha Long University with the aim of improving teachers’ language proficiency and expanding the range of teaching methods that they use.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Develop teachers’ and students’ intercultural competence by holding weekend activities/workshops with Vietnamese teachers and students.
- Organize activities for the university’s English club.
- Conduct sessions with English Access Microscholarship Program students and teacher training workshops in provinces other than Quang Ninh province per request of the RELO.