Vientiane is the capital and largest city of Laos, on the banks of the Mekong River near the border with Thailand. Vientiane tends to be hot and humid throughout the course of the year, though temperatures in the city tend to be somewhat cooler during the dry season than in the wet season. Although still a small city, the capital experiences a major influx of tourists. The city contains many temples and Buddhist monuments. Vientiane is the driving force behind economic change in Laos. In recent years, the city has experienced rapid economic growth from foreign investment. Vientiane is served by Wattay International Airport with international connections to other Asian countries.
Host Institution: Department of Teacher Education, Ministry of Education and Sports
The Ministry of Education and Sports (MOES) is a central government organization that works alongside other ministries in the macro management of education and sports. The Ministry of Education and Sports focuses on cooperation with other countries, development partners, international organizations and non-government organizations. Education reform, especially improving the capacity of teachers throughout the country, is a key goal for the MOES. The U.S. Embassy has been working with the MOES to assist in revising the national curriculum for pre-service teachers. Currently, pre-service secondary school teachers study in one of twelve institutions including 4 national universities and 8 regional teacher training colleges. All of the institutions follow the same curriculum; however, the ministry realizes that teachers graduating from these programs do not necessarily have the linguistic and pedagogical skills to be effective English teachers.
- The Fellow will work with the ministry to conduct teacher training workshops alongside the core curriculum development team and other English teachers.
- The Fellow will develop workshops on:
- developing syllabi for individual courses
- designing measurable objectives
- approaches to teaching English
- designing lessons based on measurable objectives.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Work with teachers and M.A. students in the English Department at the National University of Laos. The Fellow will conduct teacher training workshops and provide support with the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) topics needed by M.A. students and pre-service teachers at the regional teacher training colleges.