Xi’an is located in central northwest China and is the capital of Shaanxi province. With a history of more than 3000 years, Xi’an is considered the birthplace of Chinese civilization. It is also an important economic, cultural, industrial, and educational center in the northwest region. The city is surrounded by the Qinling Mountains, but remains flat in the city. The climate in Xi’an is characterized by hot summers and cold, dry winters. Spring and fall are mostly dry and mild. From Xi’an to Beijing, it takes 4 hours by speed train and 1 hour by flight. As one of the metropolitan areas in China, Xi’an has a welcoming attitude towards people from around the world. It is easy to travel around the city by bus, subway, or taxi. Some international amenities are available in Xi’an as it is a major tourist destination and there is a small but active ex-pat community.
Host Institution: Xi’an International Studies University
Xi’an International Studies University (XISU) was founded in 1952. XISU is now an important foreign languages education base, playing an irreplaceable role in foreign language teaching and research in western China. The university covers an area of 262 acres, with a working space of 679,000 square meters. It is well-equipped with advanced teaching devices like multimedia-networked classrooms, language laboratories, and computer clusters.
- The Fellow will teach TESOL methods and techniques to undergraduates majoring in English.
- The Fellow will teach professional development classes to local primary and secondary English teachers.
- The Fellow will consult with faculty on ESP and EAP classes and provide workshops for the department faculty 2-3 times a semester.
- The Fellow will work on materials development with the department.
- The Fellow will work with the U.S. Embassy, Consulate and Regional English Language Officer (RELO) on program outreach through teacher training workshops and American cultural activities.
The Fellow may be asked to:
- Work with local English teachers on professional development.
- Organize extra-curricular activities for the department.
- Conduct American culture workshops and proficiency exam preparation workshops for the department.